Because the fun never stops at the Harms household, Ozzie had a fever Sunday and yesterday. At first, we chalked it up to teething, but it turned out to be more – as always.
Brad took Ozzie to the clinic last night; ozzie’s tonsils were swollen.
Tonsillitis, my old nemesis – I should have known one day you would come back for my children you dastardly fiend!!
We were able to get one dose of amoxicillin in him last night before the NPO order at midnight. It must have been enough, cuz over the night his fever broke. Thankfully.
We were concerned that the tonsillitis would be enough for them to send us home and reschedule the MRI. We really wanted to avoid that because we had organized our lives around today – sending Ceddy to Brad’s parents’ for the night, Brad taking the day off work. Me? I have nowhere else to be.
But, after checking in and speaking with the nurse it seemed like his tonsils weren’t going to be an issue. The anesthesiologist would be right in…
Our sleepy doctor was fast and furious. He came in, told us his plan – avoid intubation. He will give ozzie some gas to put him to sleep, then they will do an IV and put him out tht way. As for o2, they will start will nasal prongs, and if he needs he will do a balloon like mask to keep the airways open, and if that doesn’t work then they intubate. But it was nice to hear that intubation is the last resort.
Then he answered any questions we had and walked out. Next thing we knew he was storming back in with his hands outstretched. He took Ozzie from my arms, and held him in front of my face for a goodbye kiss, then brad, then they were gone.
Now we wait. The MRI is scheduled for an hour. Waiting sucks.